Compensation for the Wrongly Convicted

The News and Observer reported last week that Alan Gell will receive $3.9 million from the SBI. Most readers probably know the basics about the Gell case: he was convicted of murder and spent nine years in prison, but was granted a new trial after defense counsel uncovered evidence — known to the SBI and/or the trial prosecutors, but not originally disclosed to the defense — that tended to fix the time of death at a time that Gell was in jail on an unrelated matter. Gell was acquitted on retrial, and sued the SBI and others. This story led me to learn a bit about North Carolina law regarding compensation for people who are wrongly convicted. I thought that others might be interested in the subject, too.

The most obvious source of such compensation in North Carolina is G.S. 148-82 through G.S. 148-84. Those statutes provide for the Industrial Commission to award exonerees $50,000 for each year spent in prison, plus job training and college tuition, up to a maximum of $750,000. However, those statutes apply only to persons “granted a pardon of innocence by the Governor upon the grounds that the crime with which the person was charged either was not committed at all or was not committed by that person.” Some recent North Carolina exonerees have received such pardons and have claimed compensation under the statute. (See, for example, this story about Darryl Hunt.) Gell hasn’t received such a pardon and so isn’t eligible for statutory compensation.

Whether an exoneree receives statutory compensation or not, he or she may apparently pursue other remedies. I know very little about the possible civil causes of action in such cases, but other lawyers clearly do: Hunt sought and received compensation from the City of Winston-Salem, while Gell received compensation from the SBI and the City of Aulander. It’s interesting that an exoneree may both receive the statutory compensation and pursue other remedies, especially since the statutory compensation is awarded by the Industrial Commission. In workers’ compensation cases, which are the Commission’s bread and butter, my understanding is that an award is in lieu of, not in addition to, other remedies. As this article observes, it appears that at least some other states have adopted that rule for exoneree compensation. Anyone know more about North Carolina’s choice to allow exonerees to do both?

Finally, as the foregoing suggests, other states vary considerably in their approaches. Some have no statutory compensation at all, while others have much lower compensation limits than North Carolina. Some distinguish between time on death row and non-death-row time. Texas, interestingly, has the most generous compensation limits of all, as noted here, and has made a number of exonerees instant millionaires. Given the many, many stories about athletes and lottery winners who have squandered their sudden fortunes, I hope that suddenly wealthy exonerees get good financial guidance. Alan Gell appears to be receiving monthly annuity payments from his settlement, which probably reduces the risk of a serious misstep.

8 thoughts on “Compensation for the Wrongly Convicted”

  1. How many wrongly convicted people have been exonerated in NC?
    Have any on Death Row been exonerated?

  2. I was convicted in North Carolina in 1978 for bank robbery and was sentenced to 40-50 years. I served six years and won a new trial. On June 5, 1984, A jury acquitted me of the crime. I was innocent; because I did not commit the crime. I never received any compensation and was never advised that I was entitled to compensation.

  3. My son had been wrongfully convicted for crime he didn’t comment and has no evidence at all that he touch he’s cousin and he’s even been keeping this child before the false statements where even and they refused to even let him prove he’s innocents by refusing him a lie dector test.

    • Sadly no. Prosecutors have immunity from any backlash. However, in some cases, police officers are being charged. This is a good start but no where near enough.

  4. I was charged with second degree rape but the woman wanted me changed with assault but i never was told this and the DA offers 10yrs or life


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.